Arestin Can Save Your Gums
Your periodontal health is a key factor in your overall health and well-being, and it is important to make sure your gums are healthy and well taken care. Periodontal Gum Disease can be an issue no matter what your age, however as you get older you can be more at risk. Nearly half of the people over 30 have tooth loss due to periodontal disease and nearly 3 out of 4 for those over 65.
Healthy gums are light pink in color and fit firmly around your teeth. According to the CDC (Center For Disease Control) there are a number of warning signs that are indicators that gum disease is developing as well as risk factors that can indicate you are at risk.
- Puffy or swollen gums
- Gums tender to the touch
- Bleeding gums
- Bright red or purplish gums
- Gums that have pulled away from your teeth
- Bad breath or a bad taste in your mouth
- Pain when chewing
- Loose or sensitive teeth
- Changes in your bite or the way your teeth fit together
- Smoking or chewing tobacco
- Poor or inadequate nutrition
- Certain medications causing dry mouth
- Diabetes or other health issues
- Conditions that decrease immunity
- Female hormonal changes caused by pregnancy or menopause
- Poor oral hygiene
- Defective dental procedures
- Crooked teeth
If any of these warning signs or risk factors apply to you, it is important that you schedule an appointment so we can get you in to assess your individual situation and will most likely recommend Arestin to help heal your affected gums.
What is Arestin?
Used in combination with Scaling and Root Planing (SRP) to treat adult periodontitis (gum disease), Arestin (minocycline HCl) microspheres are tiny bead-like particles containing antibiotics that are placed in the gums and released over time to kill bacteria and reduce gum pocked depth.
Benefits of Arestin
- A non-surgical approach to treating gum disease
- Applied locally and starts working immediately
- A painless procedure and doesn’t require needles
- Antibiotics are released over time as needed
Arestin remains in the gum pocket for at least 14 days after your treatment so it is essential that you follow these after-care instructions to make sure you have an optimal outcome.
- No eating or drinking for 30 minutes after your treatment
- Wait 12 hours after your treatment before brushing your teeth
- Wait 10 days before flossing, using toothpicks or any other devices to clean between your teeth
- Don’t chew gum or eat hard, crunchy or sticky foods for at least 1 week after treatment
Be sure to schedule a follow-up appointment so we can examine your gums and make sure the infection is under control and your Arestin treatment is a success.
You must be logged in to post a comment.